Finally, the harshest effects of radiation treatment have set in. Casey is in tremendous pain. His throat and ears are hurting, and he is uncomfortable all the time. It hurts to swallow, so he really isn't eating much. He was already on oxycodone, but it was making his skin really itchy, so yesterday Dr. M gave him a prescription for Dilaudin. He hasn't tried that one yet, but hopefully it will offer him some relief.
We saw Dr. M yesterday. He really didn't have too much to say, other than he looked good, and he should come back in 3 months for another PET scan. It felt strange, like we were being released from treatment without any further instructions. Hopefully he is on his way back to normal. Having all the appointments felt really safe- he was constantly being looked at. Its a little scary to go 3 months without him being checked on by a doctor! But, I guess we'll both have to get used to fewer appointments. And of course, I'll keep my eye on him.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So sorry to hear Casey is having a hard time. I hope the new meds work better, and soon his body will heal so he won't even need something to cope with the symptoms. Although this must be an uneasy time, what with not seeing the doctors so frequently, as well as the discomfort, congratulations on making it through all of this. I will be thinking of you both and wishing Casey the speediest of recoveries! Sarah
He'll never be "back to normal..."
He'll never be like normal people his age who think they have forever and that they can appreciate stuff "later." He'll never be like many normal people who see their girlfriend as just a piece of tail. He'll probably never act like normal people and ignore the gorgeous sunset or complain about having to get up early.
He's not at all normal... he's aware of how differently things could have gone, of how incredible his support people are, and how quickly things can change. He's smart enough to notice "the little things" and to take in things that others his age probably don't even see.
Once the symptoms go away, he won't return to normal. Instead, you'll have a healthy guy with a great appreciation for life who looks at you and sees far more than how short your skirt is.
Here's to the days when you and your healthy boy can truly appreciate all of the amazing things you've learned together and all of the years you'll have to continue to enjoy each other's company!!!
~Kryss
munchkin.livejournal.com
I totally understand the fear of the 3 mos. And you know what - you guys will know his body and what's going on better than docs, and if you see something fishy, don't be scared to freak out. you'd rather be reassured everything is fine than just hope it is for 3 months!!! I'm sure everything will be great - Dilaudin is a great med, hopefully that will work better for him. The oxycodone made my David itch too, weird.
the worst part for me was the first 3 months after treatment ended - no instruction manual for the future. It was weird - so let him know it's totally normal to feel out of place in the world. things that helped me a lot was keeping in touch with other people I had met that were undergoing treatment. There are things only another survivor can understand (even though I have one incredible and caring husband). I also got involved helping with the American Cancer Society Relay for Life in my area. Giving back is awesome therapy and I can't recommend that enough. Anyway, good luck and keep that positive outlook going.
Post a Comment