Thursday, October 16, 2008

One Year Later...

One year ago tonight, Casey was told he has cancer. I tried to walk home forty blocks, while he drove into the city, as if to rescue me. We held each other all night, as he mustered the courage to tell his family, and we started to worry about the road ahead. That night, I remember being grateful that we had the internet at our disposal, since we knew so little about lymphoma, and the statistics were actually comforting. In the days that followed, the internet became the devil- I found more and more scary stories and things to worry about.

Although we were both scared, Casey was so strong that night. He actually drove into the city to comfort ME! I remember that falling asleep was difficult that night, but eventually, we both slept. And we both went to work the next day. I did, however, take off the following day, as it was "phone call" day. That's right. I spent an entire day making calls, trying to get Casey an appointment with the best doctor possible (which my mom and aunt actually accomplished for me).

Anyway, that was a year ago. It feels amazing to be in the place we are in now. Casey is happy and healthy and getting clean scans. We have come so far since last October. We have grown stronger, both individually and as a couple. Looking back on this past year, I think we can both admit that it was not so terrible. At least we spent most of it together.

We are looking forward to many more healthy years together.

No comments: