Has anyone ever heard of chemo brain??? Today Casey has had a huge case of forgetfullness. He deposited a check into the ATM, and forgot to sign it! Then, he made it all the way to the mall, only to realize that he actually left his ATM card in the ATM machine. He's definitely frustrated because this is not how Casey usually operates. Is this from the chemo?? The steroids? Just having a bad day??
Anyway, I should tell you we had an appointment with Dr. Moskowitz yesterday. I raced to Sloan after getting stuck in a meeting that ran long, only to wait for ninety minutes to see the doctor. Now I know Sloan is pretty busy, but we have NEVER waited that long before. Casey usually gets seen within 30 minutes, so it was pretty weird. When we finally see Dr. Moskowitz, he tells us he was late because he just learned that one of his patients died. Died?!?!! That is NOT comforting! The nice part about it was that we could truly tell that Dr. M was really upset by the news, like he really cares about his patients. But we don't want to hear that his patients die!
The appointment went well. After tomorrow's chemo (round 4 already), we'll do injections all weekend. And then, the following week, Casey gets a chest x-ray. Dr. M hopes that this will show improvement in the mass, but warned us that even if it doesn't look smaller, it doesn't mean that the treatment isn't working. We are both a little bit nervous about this because of course we want to see good news. A few weeks after that, Casey will get another PET scan. I can't believe how fast the treatment is going! He looks and feels great, and today he went for a haircut. Yup- his hair is still in tact, and he's looking ever so handsome.
Finally, I mentioned last week that our friend Liz is participating in a marathon through Team in Training in honor of Casey. I am going to figure out how to post a copy of her letter to the blog. The way it works is that she has to raise a certain amount of money to run the marathon, and the money she raises is donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Please check out Liz's letter and support her goal if you can.
I want to thank everyone again, for reading, for praying, and for thinking about us. It's really helpful to know that our family, friends, and even strangers, are supporting us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It could be either...chemobrain, exhaustion or the steroids...VERY normal during AND after treatment. I still get chemo brain and I haven't chemo in years...
At least your Dr was honest with you about where he was :). It probably made your day seem a little better!
Rachel
3 time young adult cancer survivor
iamobsessedwithlife.blogspot.com
Hi Jessica/Casey,
Jessica, I saw the comment you left for me on Storked! and I really appreciate it. As you both no, NO ONE wants to deal with cancer, but really, what other choice do we have, right? I'm certainly not going to do nothing & sit around & let it kill me!
Chemo brain is a VERY well-known, very real phenomenon. I was on Gleevec (same as Erin Zammett) for 6 years, and even though it's a pill, it has the same brain fog effect. Now I'm on Sutent, and my mental clarity hasn't improved much! Atlhough I also have to take meds for pain control, so I'm sure that doesn't help.
Best of luck to you Casey, in your battle. I found a Castlemans Disease specialist for my husband in Cleveland (2 hrs from us), so we're going to schedule an appt with him to see if my hubby's latest CT & PET results really do indicate Lymphoma, or if it's the Castlemans ("CD") proliferating.
I'll be keeping up with your blog now - I like your writing style, and how you tag team the posts! I have to keep my private life very private because of my job, but I do have a CarePage (www.carepages.com) - you have to register & sign in to read those, so no one can read it that you're not aware of. The name of the carepage is LauraKukucka (no spaces, case sensitive).
Take care!
Laura K. in Columbus, OH
P.S. OBSESSED W/LIFE - Hello! I recognize you from Kris Carr's blog! I haven't posted in awhile b/c I got behind on reading all the comments & I'm trying to get caught up!
Oops, forgot I had changed my display to show my full name...changed it back to my display name.
-LK
Post a Comment