Monday, December 17, 2007

It happened...

Well all, it finally happened. We had to say goodbye to Casey's hair. We had a lovely, quiet, relaxing weekend, with a head full of hair. On Sunday, we left the city, headed to Long Island, where my aunt and uncle had us over for a nice dinner. We had a great time, and went back to Casey's apartment to watch basketball and wrap some more presents. Right around 10PM, when we were thinking about getting ready for bed, Casey showed me a clump of hair in his fingers. That was it- we realized it was time to go. Since Casey really wanted to be at work this morning, we bundled up and headed to Walgreens to pick up some clippers.

For me, I was nauseous the whole way to Walgreens. I have never shaved a head before, and I felt horrible that I had to take Casey's hair away from him. But he wanted it gone, and he really wasn't too upset by the outing. He threw some Red Vines in with the clippers, so clearly we wasn't that fixated on his hair. We made it home, and after a pep talk from our moms, we sat him on the exercise ball in the kitchen and got to work. Shaving a head is tough! My nausea went away when I realized what a project we had begun. I had to use scissors to make it short enough to shave without it pulling. Anyway, an hour later, his beautiful head was buzzed down to a "1", or an eight of an inch. He looks absolutely adorable, as if he is about to go ship out to fight WWII. I know he's a little sad to be bald, and he doesn't think he looks as cute as I think he looks, but he's really OK. Right now, he just looks like a guy with a buzz cut. He still looks great, and he still looks healthy. His camera is broken, otherwise I would have posted some pictures of his new do. I will try to get some pictures up before we leave for North Carolina for Christmas.

So that's our hair story. It was not as traumatizing as we had expected. Casey has a nice head, and I'm sure you'll all agree he looks wonderful. Photos to come....

7 comments:

Casey said...

Thank you so much for t6he beautiful haircut baby!! You did such a good job-- got lots of compliments today. Love you!

Casey

Obsessedwithlife said...

Welcome to the 'bald club' (or close to it). I'm a 3-time member. At least you're a guy too :).

It's also a nice time to wear ski caps, etc. in the cold!

Rachel

Aimee said...

I hear that anybody who's anybody is rocking the buzz cut these days. Work it, Casey!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear about the x-ray results! We're wearing our blue bands with pride. -Selena

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the new Casey this Friday night! I bet you look absolutely adorable! I'm so happy about your x-ray results and can't wait for you to get your clean bill of health in the weeks to come.

lifeisagrandslam said...

Jessica (and Casey),

First and foremost, CONGRATS on the x-ray results!!! I was SO happy to read that the chemo is working. What a great way for you guys to kick off the holidays!

I haven't updated my carepage with this info yet, but at my hubby's dr appt last week, the onc told us she may have "overestimated" the extent of his lymph node growth, and it actually looks like all of the chest lymph nodes *shrank* since last time! This goes a long way toward ruling out Lymphoma...I was like, "um, couldn't you have called us at some point in the past two weeks & told us this??" The Castlemans Disease mass is still there though, and still the same size, so we're still going to see a specialist in Cleveland next month. What a crazy roller coaster, huh?

Hope you guys have a happy holiday in NC!

Laura
---------------
www.castlemans.blogspot.com
www.carepages.com - "LauraKukucka"

Jetchro said...

Wow, Jessica, if I knew how much you hated shaved heads I would have felt self-conscious when I was around you...lol.